Smart Lamp is a software and hardware prototype for the diagnosis of Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTDs). Its fundamental elements are different LAMP-type isothermal DNA amplification methods for the diagnosis of the main helminth-caused NTDs. These methods have been developed by the e-INTRO Research Group (Infectious and Tropical Diseases, IBSAL-CIETUS).
e-INTRO is working on SMART LAMP 2.0 alongside the BISITE Research Group (Bioinformatics, Intelligent Systems and Educational Technology-IBSAL), which has extensive experience in the development of computer systems, Big Data techniques, sensors and communications. Moreover, the supporting DCSC company specialises in the development of engineering products and services through board design, software and hardware development and component integration. This automated system will consist of three independent modules, which will collectively provide a series of services, including sample identification, processing, storage and geolocation signal transmission.
The developed technological prototype makes it possible to validate the techniques and activities performed by the involved research groups. It is a complete modular system that contains:
- A sample preparation module. This module will keep the sample at a temperature of 60°C for a period of 45 min. Its mechanisms allow to modify both the temperature and the processing time according to the needs estimated by the machine manager.
- A sample reading module. This module will consist of a reading system, whose elements, such as cameras, photoresistors, fibre optics, etc. may be used collectively or separately.
- Transmission module. This module will include the four systems necessary for the reception and protection of the sample results and other relevant information, including:
- Data collection: along with the results of the sample, the system will incorporate other complementary information related to the context from which the sample was taken, such as: the GPS position, information about the patients and the healthcare professional taking the samples, information about the measuring equipment etc.
- Data protection: which includes all the elements needed to encrypt the data, safeguard the identity of the users and certify both the origin and the correctness of the data.
- Transmission: this module will facilitate different data transmission systems, such as GSM/LTE, through a SIM card; WiFi when a secure network is available, or Bluetooth, to send data to a connected device.
- Storage: this module will store the collected data.
In addition to the three fundamental modules, the system incorporates other functionalities and technologies, such as:
- The generation and recharge of energy, the monitoring of the state of the battery; systems for the generation of solar energy, vehicle charging, conventional electricity grid, etc.
- Interaction Interface, allows to visualize and validate results, send information, backups, etc. The interface will be designed for both the data measurement system, and the analysis and information storage system. It will be possible to visualize the generated information on personal computers as well as tablets or smartphones and will be adaptable to different screen formats. The interface will be able to analyse the information considering geographical, local and/or personal parameters.